Launching My Career in Lupus Research

Tomorrow's Generation of Lupus Researchers
Hi, My name is Marilyn Allen, and I am a Ph.D. student in chemical engineering. I just completed my Gina M. Finzi Memorial Student Summer Fellowship working in Dr. Gregory Szeto's lab at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. My research focused on developing an enhanced delivery system for people with lupus nephritis by targeting medication to specific tissues and organs. My goal is to prevent vision loss and/or long-term damage to the eyes, a common side effect of anti-malarials which are used to treat lupus nephritis.
Side effects of medications can be just as devastating as the disease. Fewer side effects means an improved quality of life for people with lupus. I hope my research will lead to further breakthroughs in better, safer treatments with fewer side effects.
Being a Finzi fellow was such an amazing experience. The fellowship provided mentorship and resources to jump-start my lupus research career. I also had the opportunity to learn more about grant writing and the management process which helped me appreciate research from a new perspective. Working in a university lab setting helped me realize that I wanted to continue in lupus research—and eventually become a professor at a university.
People like you made this experience possible for me. Next year’s class of scholars is counting on you. Please give today and help us reach $20,000 to support the 2020 class of researchers.
With gratitude,
Marilyn Allen's signature
Marilyn Allen
2018 Finzi Fellow
The Lupus Foundation of America
2121 K Street NW Ste 200, Washington DC 20037
    

 

Popular Posts