About me - Bettina (Finally!)


I was diagnosed in my teens with Lupus Nephritis – (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Nephritis). 
Lupus is an autoimmune disease where the body's immune system becomes hyperactive and attacks normal, healthy tissue. My kidneys have been affected, and I have to take a cocktail of strong medicines every day, as well as watch what I eat. 

A nutritionist helped me to learn about my new life, and how to deal with my new dietary restrictions. I was started on non-sodium meals, cutting out salt completely, and after a month I was allowed some sodium back in my diet. I was also told to reduce the cholesterol levels in my food. This meant that I could not eat egg yolk, nor any fried food. 

Years later, I found out that I was lactose intolerant, and probably had been since early childhood, undiagnosed. So I had to find substitutes for regular milk. 
My doctor also now suspects I may have a problem with gluten, or flour, so I will probably be undergoing more testing in the near future. Our bodies change! Definitely, people taking medications throughout the years like me, will notice changes in their systems. 

Besides my diet and food restrictions, I also have to watch for sunblock, make-up and new products to protect my skin and my health. I was already allergic before. I had asthma and allergies as a child. 

The reason I found the online magazine Benessere Guide to serve as a guide for people with similar dietary restrictions and other suggestions.

Popular Posts